With their father away as a chaplain in the Civil War, Jo, Meg, Beth and Amy grow up with their mother in somewhat reduced circumstances. They are a close family who inevitably have their squabbles and tragedies. But the bond holds even when, later, male friends start to become a part of the household.
- Year: 1994
- Country: United States of America
- Genre: Drama, Romance
- Studio: Columbia Pictures
- Keyword: holiday, depression, parent child relationship, pregnancy, sister, desire, chalkboard, nightgown, birth of twins, woman director, christmas, 19th century, christmas romance
- Director: Gillian Armstrong
- Cast: Winona Ryder, Gabriel Byrne, Trini Alvarado, Samantha Mathis, Kirsten Dunst, Claire Danes