A civilian oil rig crew is recruited to conduct a search and rescue effort when a nuclear submarine mysteriously sinks. One diver soon finds himself on a spectacular odyssey 25,000 feet below the ocean's surface where he confronts a mysterious force that has the power to change the world or destroy it.
- Year: 1989
- Country: United States of America
- Genre: Adventure, Action, Thriller, Science Fiction
- Studio: Lightstorm Entertainment, Pacific Western, 20th Century Fox
- Keyword: ocean, submarine, sea, diving suit, flying saucer, secret mission, nuclear missile, u.s. navy, alien life-form, warning, insanity, ufo, scuba diving, underwater, scuba, extraterrestrial life form, deepsea, message, trapped underwater , thalassophobia
- Director: James Cameron
- Cast: Ed Harris, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, Michael Biehn, Leo Burmester, Todd Graff, John Bedford Lloyd